Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Orange Creamsicle Cleaner

I am constantly looking for ways to save money, be more 'green' and make things myself. So, when I kept seeing pins on Pinterest for making your own discenfectant cleaner using vinegar I was very curious.

Amazing thing vinegar is. Sure, it doesn't smell too good. And yes, it may be the secret ingredient in your salsa, salad dressing or marinade. But did you also know that it's cleaning powers are comparable to bleach? Just not as harsh!

One particular concept caught my eye - let vinegar and orange peels steep. Strain. Use. Smells better.

I'm game!

Results:
I'm very happy with the end result. Over the course of a few days (and snacks) I put the peels of 5 oranges in a large, glass jar. Poured just enough vinegar to cover the peels, sealed the top and let it set on the counter (out of the sun) for a week. Then I strained it into a spray bottle. Voila!

The vinegar smell was still a little strong, so I added a few drops of orange extract and clear vanilla - smelled so much better!



Next time I will make a bigger batch and let it sit for 10-14 days for a stronger, natural orange scent.

Anyone else clean with vinegar?


Linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment